24 May 2010

If at first you don't succeed, don't reproduce.

So I may have just seen the best YouTube video that I have/will ever seen/see. But before I embed it, a few remarks. First of all, I know that none of my readership will ever go into motivational speaking so this may all be moot. But just in case any of you ever consider it, please remember: "The motivational speaking profession requires no formal training or certification, however skills in public speaking in many cases addressing large audiences are vital" (Wikipedia).

This is one of those things in life that encourages dumb people because they think, "No formal training required?! Bonus bonus bonus! I can do that! Easy!" What they fail to recognize is that this is exactly what should discourage, rather than encourage them. If the movie "Little Miss Sunshine" was any lesson, not just anyone can be a motivational speaker. If something requires no education, it is usually the hardest thing you can possibly do. Things like being an inventor, entrepreneur, or freelance writer should be viewed with more caution. If you are amazing at any of these things naturally, then by all means, jump in. But if you don't have anything more to say besides:
1. Figure out what you want to do
2. Believe in yourself
3. Formulate a plan of action
4. Follow through with it
5. Never give up
you should probably consider trade school. Well enough babble, just watch. And hold on, or you may fall out of your chair, as I.



Also, some things just can't be done. Or at least without maiming yourself. Maybe he should change #1 to: Figure out something USEFUL AND PREFERABLY NOT UTTERLY ASININE that you want to do. Watch the hilarious follow up. It won't disappoint.



[Keep following. And I promise you will be inspired to climb Everest. Naked.]

5 comments:

  1. Also throat beards are retarded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy Crap! I just about wet my pants.... I was seriously died laughing.

    I want to share this with my Grandpa Hübner, telling him this is what I want to aspire too... if only he didn't live in the dark ages, owning a computer without the internet. :D

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So one of my friends mentioned your blog on one of their blog posts. I watched these videos, and I was laughing so hard I was crying.

    My favorite line? At the end of the first one: "I did it...

    ...it only took, like, 20 or 30 tries..."

    hahaha wow.
    You now have a new blog follower. Thanks for making my day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find it unfortunate that he mentioned making a plan, which includes gathering all available information on your difficult and theoretically inspirational goal. Had he, in reality, gathered said information, it might have dawned on him that plywood is so named because it consists of multiple layers of wood pressed together such that the grain of one layer runs perpendicular to grain of the layers in immediate contact with it. This is done so that the plywood CAN WITHSTAND BLUNT FORCE TO ITS FLANK!!!! *Sigh* I seriously wonder about the world sometimes...

    Excellent object lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wold like to make a few comments, but Hawk already stole the first one that came to my mind. :)

    Secondly, it appears that even though motivational speaking doesn't require formal training, breaking wood with your head does. Time for a visit to the orient, kid. :)

    And thirdly, what would I rather have my kids do? Drugs or literal head banging? Toss up--in reality I'd rather have neither.

    ReplyDelete