20 May 2010

A Fair Warning

This is a bathroom story. I had to pee. It happens sometimes. This time it happened at work. I walked in and saw this old guy standing at the middle of the three urinals, in clear violation of proper urinal etiquette. Rather than opting to wait, I just went to the closest to the door. So I done did ma' business, and was zipping up when said old guy (STILL at the urinal) turned to me and said, "Be grateful for your young days. A steady stream and strong flow doesn't last long." To which I replied chuckling, "Thanks. I'll remember that."

And I will. I was grateful for that small reminder that the clock is always ticking. I've been in a contemplative mood all day since then. I was walking up my stairs on my way home from a vigorous run (partly still motivated from the bathroom incident) and I was remembering, not thinking, I miss my freshman year in college. Things were fun then. After having that thought I had to laugh at myself because I didn't think things were all that grand when I was in the moment Freshman year. In reality, a lot of really crappy things happened freshman year. The funny thing about time passing is that it automatically and simultaneously also applies a rose-tinting. We forget pain. We forget heartbreak. We forget stress. We don't forget happy moments. I think the function of this paradox is to try and remind us that we are in "the good ol' days" right now. Today. If we keep in mind that we will look back with longing on days like today 20 years from now, we will live differently.

None of this makes problems go away or pain any less real. But maybe we can react differently and perhaps even preemptively apply that rose-tinting. This is advice so often heard and repeated that it is much worse than cliche. It is also that way for a reason. Every one of us needs this lesson. We all should keep in mind that "a steady stream and a strong flow doesn't last forever." I am grateful for a normal sized prostate.

[Keep following. I know where Jimmy Hoffa is buried.]

3 comments:

  1. hey! I just wanted to let you know, I posted a blog in reference to your blog.

    http://tifsong.blogspot.com/2010/05/doode-blog-post.html

    also. thank you for the insight. i think it's interesting that sometimes the strangest or most awkward moments often get us thinking the most. i think even in the dreariest of moments we're allowed to mark our day with a rose colored tint. i often find myself caught up in "oh, it'll just get better".. when really. i should think that right now, this very moment, is the BEST. and live up to that, you know?

    yeah..

    have a lovely day! ♥TIF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks for the shout out. I could use some more publicity always. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had a moment similar to this "behind closed doors" in my bathroom at work

    ReplyDelete