05 April 2010

We All Need To Start Somewhere

A journey of a thousand miles begins with one step. Or at least that's what someone told me once. I guess this is my step. It's a pretty reluctant one, I must admit. I've had an unhealthy attitude toward Blogging for a long time. Maybe it's because "Blog" is such a buzzword in our society (and if you know me at all, you know I can't stand things that are wildly popular for no reason. Case in point-- Paris Hilton). Maybe I dislike Blogs because anyone can start a Blog and therefore the GDP of all Blogs collectively is greatly tarnished and generally shoddy. But maybe it's because up until recently I hadn't read any Blogs worth reading (thanks to John and Sierra for redeeming a medium).

Either way, here I am.

I've entitled my Blog "Arriving Somewhere" because I guess it's kind of how I feel about life. That sounds trite and I am sure that if I were more eloquent then I could jazz it up and make it more intriguing. But the simple truth is that I am always arriving. I just never know where. I guess the first time I experienced this in a visceral manner was when my plane landed in Zurich. The pilot had assured us that we were now "here" in Switzerland but somehow I didn't believe it. I was sure that I had arrived, for the plane was no longer moving, but I had an overwhelming sense that I wasn't sure where "here" was, or what awaited me behind the next set of sliding doors or around the next curve in the tunnel.

But this feeling doesn't always come during travel. Sometimes it happens while walking around a parking lot. I know that I have "arrived" at a fitting Major in school, but I'm not sure that I understand quite yet what that means. I'm sure I will comprehend this later when I am being rejected for a position at a distinguished university.

Writing for me is an outlet. From my facebook statii you may assume that this outlet is mostly pessimistic and critical, but you'd be wrong. The fact is, writing is extremely therapeutic (and sometimes entertaining). Lest some of you be turned off, let me say that I don't intend to bore you with intellectual quandaries and emotional merry-go-rounds (though don't be surprised if a few sneak through once in awhile). Mostly I intend to give you a glimpse into my mind. See its inner workings and dysfunctions. But also its hopes and joys. And maybe a poem or story that it came up with if I deem them worthy.

Through it all, my main hope is that I won't let Ben Franklin down by making my Blog like so many others that (let's be honest you and I) frankly aren't worth reading.
Every once in awhile I hope that I get it right. Every once in awhile I hope I inspire you. Every once in awhile I hope that I wrench on your heartstrings. Every once in awhile I hope I relate to you on a personal level. Every once in awhile I hope I make you feel alive, and inspire you to stand with Tennyson and declare "I have felt". I doubt that my Blog is what I will be remembered for after I die, but hey, maybe I'll get lucky and arrive in the right place for once.

[Keep 'following' for my next entry where I shall attempt to figure out why Paris and Nicole are famous.]

5 comments:

  1. as a recent economics thesis defendee, i must take offense at your improper use of the concept of GDP

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan Ryan Ryan... you would. Ryan Ryan Ryan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, DJ, you are an amazing writer! I'm genuinely jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete